Assault is a serious crime that can cause severe and devastating consequences for victims. If you have been injured by assault, it is essential that you take steps to protect your legal rights and get justice.
What is assault?
Assault is a crime committed when one person intentionally causes physical harm to another. It can include hitting, kicking, stabbing, shooting, or any other act that causes injury.
In California, assault is classified into three categories:
- Slight injury: These are injuries that do not require hospitalization or surgical treatment.
- Serious Injury: These are injuries that require hospitalization or surgical treatment.
- Aggravated assault: It is an attack that is perpetrated with the intent to inflict serious injury or death, or that is committed against a child, an elderly person, or a disabled person.
What should I do if I am injured by assault?
If you have been injured by assault, the first thing you should do is seek medical attention. It is important to document your lesions in order to be able to prove them in court.
You should also report the incident to the police. The police will investigate the incident and, if there is sufficient evidence, file charges against the assailant.
What can I recover in an assault lawsuit?
In an assault lawsuit, you may recover compensation for the following damages:
- Medical expenses: Medical expenses include doctor’s fees, medication, and hospitalization expenses.
- Lost wages: Lost wages include money you lost because you were unable to work due to your injuries.
- Pain and suffering: Pain and suffering include emotional stress, physical suffering, and diminished quality of life.
- Other damages: Other damages you may recover include property damage and funeral expenses.
How can I get legal help?
If you have been injured by assault, it is crucial to contact a personal injury attorney. An experienced attorney can help you file a legal claim and get the compensation you deserve.
At GB Law, we have an experienced team of attorneys who specialize in personal injury cases. We have an experienced team of attorneys who are specialists in personal injury cases.