Lemon Law Attorney in Los Angeles, CA
Representation for Owners of Defective Vehicles Seeking Compensation in Sherman Oaks & Los Angeles County
Have you recently purchased a vehicle you suspect might be a lemon? A “lemon” is any car, truck, SUV, motorcycle, or other motor vehicle which has one or more persistent problems that cannot be easily fixed. If these defects are found to make your car unsafe to operate and/or will put your vehicle out of commission for 30 days or more, it is considered a lemon.
Fortunately, the state of California has lemon laws in place to protect consumers. The next step is to file a Los Angeles lemon law claim, but that may be difficult if you do not know the process. Thankfully, you have lemon lawyers near you!
If you are having significant trouble with a newly purchased car, contact the Law Offices of Gary Berkovich right away. Our Los Angeles lemon law attorneys have decades of experience successfully obtaining consumers compensation to cover their losses after buying a defective vehicle.
What Are Lemon Laws in California?
California’s Lemon Law protects consumers from losing money when a car, recently bought or leased, cannot be repaired. In such cases, consumers are generally entitled to either a replacement or a refund. Lemon laws apply to any vehicle, new or used, that includes a factory warranty.
What Constitutes a Lemon?
A vehicle must meet certain parameters to qualify as a lemon.
Your new or used vehicle qualifies as a lemon if it features all the following:
- The vehicle was bought or leased from a California dealer and includes a warranty.
- The “authorized repair facility” or dealer cannot adequately fix your vehicle under the warranty after a reasonable number of attempts to do so.
- Your vehicle’s defect(s) substantially impairs its use, value, and/or safety.
Common Issues for Lemon Cars
Lemon cars oftentimes share a long list of issues that make them unsafe and unusable for the owner. These issues make the vehicle too dangerous to operate and/or the repairs will take over 30 days to complete.
Examples of problems that may make a car a lemon are:
- Defective brakes
- Defective steering wheels
- Defective engines
- Gas leaks
- Battery fires
- Airbags that don’t deploy properly
- Air conditioner malfunctions
- Automatic transmission failures
- Electrical problems
- Fuel injection defects
- Fuel line defects
- Cruise control malfunctions
What Should I Do If I Think I Have a Lemon?
Once you have established you have purchased a lemon, the dealer is responsible for completing an inspection of the vehicle and buying it back. If, however, the dealer does not cooperate in assisting you or the manufacturer denies your claim, you can take legal action against them.
Los Angeles Consumers: What Rights Do They Have?
Los Angeles and California have state laws protecting consumers. Song-Beverly Consumer Warranty Act governs the protection afforded to defective vehicle purchasers in Los Angeles. A manufacturer must either replace or refund a "lemon" vehicle, and must also pay out attorneys' fees when a vehicle is a lemon.
The manufacturer may provide a replacement vehicle or refund the vehicle and reimburse you for various related losses if you are entitled to compensation under California Lemon Law regulations. Compensation for reimbursement may include:
- Repair costs
- Usage loss
- Defect-rectification time value
- An advance payment
- Expenses for attorneys
- Monthly payments
- Registration fees and taxes
- Amounts incurred for incidentals (such as rentals)
How to File for Lemon Law in California
To file a claim to request compensation to cover a lemon, do the following:
- Notify the manufacturer of the problem. They will inform you what steps to take next.
- Complete any required correspondence through certified mail and keep receipts.
- Keep copies of all other documentation related to your vehicle and its defects such as letters, bills, and receipts.
Contact an experienced lemon law attorney
- While you can file a claim without legal representation, an attorney can provide valuable advice on how to handle your claim during a free consultation.
- They can also help you to figure out what to do next and represent you in negotiations with the manufacturer or dealership who sold the vehicle to you.
Contact our Los Angeles Lemon Law Attorney Today!
If you have experienced the hardships from recently buying or leasing a car that cannot be repaired, it may be in your best interest to contact a lemon law attorney in Los Angeles. Our team at the Law Offices of Gary Berkovich can assist you and are here to help hold the responsible party accountable. If you believe you could benefit from the services of a lemon law attorney, contact our team to get started today!
At Law Offices of Gary Berkovich, we can help you receive compensation that will help you repair or replace your lemon as well as reimburse any related expenses you’ve already paid for.
The compensation you may qualify for includes:
- A complete refund of your purchase (including fees, down payments, and financing costs)
- The replacement value of your vehicle
- The full balance of your loan or lease to pay it off
With an attorney by your side, you’ll increase your chances of receiving the maximum amount of compensation available to you. A lawyer can also ensure your claim is done correctly and promptly as errors and delays often serve to give dealerships and manufacturers an excuse to deny your claim.
Small Firm Dedication, Large Firm Results
When you work with our team, you get a family of individuals who not only care about you, but who can also fight until you get the recovery you need and deserve.
Personalized & Timely Strategies
We understand the stress that comes from being injured and we have made it our mission to provide both personalized and efficient strategies in a timely matter so that you can focus on your recovery.
Service Focused on Your Needs
Whether you need help with your case, or with finding medical care, the Law Offices of Gary Berkovich is here to walk alongside you.
Dedicated & Experienced Attorney
Attorney Gary Berkovich has over 20 years of legal experience defending the rights of the injured.